Thursday, September 5, 2013

We made it!

Well, we made it to Texas and this week marks the beginning of the semester at Texas A&M-Corpus Christi.

We have been blessed to be able to stay in a wonderful house close to campus. While this may seem silly to some, the Lord providing us this house is a constant reminder of his faithfulness in our life as well as confirmation of our ministry here.

The trip itself was LONG. By the end, when we were driving through Texas (which took almost an entire day), I called up Ben and told him I had nothing else to think about and with no scenery around me (everything is SO flat in Texas) I was loosing my mind! I will be avoiding the drive back to Virginia for as long as I can! If you have any extra frequent flyer miles, let me know!

Thank you all for praying for safe travels! I am thankful to report we had only one flat tire and that the rest of the trip went without a hitch. Driving in and seeing the water was surreal. I knew that Corpus Christi should now be what I called home, but emotionally, I'm just not ready for that yet.

The first week felt like vacation. Ben and I got to spend a lot of time together getting to know the town and settling in, and for that I am thankful. I don't know if I could have faced that first week alone.

As for a church, we have found a wonderful home church in Southside Community Church. At this point, I don't think any other church can live up to the expectations I now have of hospitality. Ben and I were "pounded" (don't worry mom, we weren't given a good beating). "Pounding" is an old southern tradition that welcomes new pastors or missionaries to the church with non perishable items. The term "pounding" stems from when standard grocery items were sold by the pound. It was so sweet of everyone to provide for our needs before they even had seen our faces!

Now it's week two, and reality is setting in. Even with all of the kindness bestowed upon us from our church community, moving to a new place is still so lonely. Ben has gotten swept up with his new job and is enjoying meeting new people and doing what God has called him to do, but I'm working from home, and missing the old routine with familiar faces and places. I'm a person that enjoys knowing what's next, knowing my surroundings and planning for the future. I can't prepare for anything here. I don't know what's next. I don't even know the directions to the grocery store! But, I do know that the Lord has brought us here and He will provide for all of our needs.

No comments:

Post a Comment